Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Must Lists

I thought it might be fun to type up lists of my "Must" albums, movies, books, and TV shows if I were to be stranded on a desert island (with my discman, DVD carrying case, television, and mini-bookshelf, natch). I'd love to hear from you all in regards to your own lists. Greatest Hits compilations and soundtracks ARE allowed for the Music Musts;)

It's hard for me to stick to ten per list, but I think that's part of the challenge. MANY of my loves will be hovering, screaming at me, right at that #11 shoreline. And it will be interesting to look back later in time and see how these lists have changed and/or stayed the same. Oh, and these aren't necessarily in a specific order:

MUSIC

1) Tori Amos -- Little Earthquakes (Extended Version)
2) Paula Cole -- This Fire
3) Sarah McLachlan -- Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
4) Patty Griffin -- Flaming Red
5) Charlotte Martin -- On Your Shore
6) Alanis Morissette -- Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
7) Stevie Nicks -- Timespace (Greatest Hits collection)
8) Madonna -- Like a Prayer
9) Julee Cruise -- Floating into the Night
10) Rosie Thomas -- When We Were Small

(Sarah Harmer and Sarah Fimm -- will you ever forgive me? And Heart and Annie Lennox, don't even get me started....And my Plague Monkeys clan....wow....am I a bitch or what?)

MOVIES

1) Lawn Dogs
2) Contact
3) American Beauty
4) A Nightmare on Elm Street
5) Halloween
6) The Lost Boys
7) Poltergeist
8) The Village
9) Donnie Darko
10) The Rapture

BOOKS

1) Dangerous Angels -- Francesca Lia Block
2) Sati -- Christopher Pike
3) The Perks of Being a Wallflower -- Stephen Chbosky
4) Girlfriend in a Coma -- Douglas Coupland
5) Sunglasses After Dark -- Nancy A. Collins
6) She's Come Undone -- Wally Lamb
7) The Hours -- Michael Cunningham
8) A Wrinkle in Time -- Madeleine L'Engle
9) Sacrament -- Clive Barker
10) Twilight Eyes -- Dean Koontz

TV SHOWS

1) Twin Peaks
2) Picket Fences
3) Six Feet Under
4) Felicity
5) Buffy & Angel
(*come on, we all know it's one giant mythology, thus it counts as one show!)
6) Veronica Mars
7) Queer as Folk
8) Friday the 13th: The TV Series
9) Freddy's Nightmares: A Nightmare on Elm Street, the series
10) Dark Shadows

Phew! This was extremely difficult. I'm cringing at what I had to leave off!

Okay, I look forward to hearing from you. The heat is on.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn you, Nathan.

Here I was, working hard on my homework when I came across this. Favorites lists are my greatest weakness! I just went with my instincts on this one. I noticed my choices for TV are pretty lowbrow. You'll have to forgive me for that. I hope you are well. Love, Kristin

music albums
Joni Mitchell- For the roses
Sarah Harmer You were Here
Antony and the Johnsons- I am a bird now
Joanna Newsome- The Sprout and the Bean
Bruce Springsteen- Nebraska
“Our Cd”- mix
Rusted Root- When I woke
Led Zeppelin- III
Roy Orbison- Greatest Hits
Hedwig and the Angry Inch soundtrack

Movies
The Last Unicorn
The Dark Crystal
The Piano
Goodfellas
Princess Mononoke
Le Bossu
Sleeping Beauty (the disney one)
Silence of the Lambs
Aliens
West Side Story


TV
CSI: Las Vegas
Simpsons
Green Wing
The Sopranos
South Park
That Mitchell and Webb Look
Sesame Street (anytime before the mid 1990’s)
Borat: visiting America sketches
Law and Order
ER


Books
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn- Betty Smith
I Know This Much is True- Wally Lamb
Ramona the Brave- Beverly Cleary
Maus- Art Spiegelman
Middlesex- Jeffrey Eugenides
The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay- Michael Chabon
1984- George Orwell
Wyrms- Orson Scott Card
Franny and Zooey- JD Sallinger
A Kiss for Little Bear- Maurice Sendak

12.10.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yet another person's homework disturbed (;

music (in no particular order)

Queen - Classic Queen
Queen - Greatest Hits
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes (there's an extended addition?)
Venetian Snares (can't remember the title, it's in some unpronounceable language; it's weird electronic music that Lee gave me)
kind of cheating, but the mp3 mix that Lee made me of electronic music
Chopin (preludes and nocturnes - just this random CD I have. I don't know which ones I like best. I just like Chopin.)
The Postal Service
ABBA Gold
Decemberists Picaresque

books

The Annotated Alice by Lewis Carroll (includes Looking Glass and, obviously, annotations)
Awareness by Anthony De Mello
The Tao te Ching (Stephen Mitchell translation)
My mom's Complete Shakespeare (kind of cheating, but let's get maximum bang for our buck!)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
The Gift by Hafiz
The Harry Potter series (cheating again!)
The Sandman series (cheating again again!)
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky (cause I should bring at least one thing I've never read and always meant to)

Movies:

Lagaan
The Sound of Music
Moulin Rouge!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Garden State
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The Star Wars Trilogy (original, of course)
A Room with A View
Romancing the Stone
Xanadu (hey, why the hell not!)

TV:
Sex and the City
Lost
Battlestar Galactica
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
South Park
The Pride and Prejudice mini-series
Firefly
"Dressed to Kill" Eddie Izzard (hey, it was on HBO!)
Mr. Rogers (seriously!)
(I don't really like TV all that much. I'd rather have more movies and books!)

I was most inspired by books, least inspired by TV/Music, and the most solid list is my book list, though I guess the movie one is mainly solid. The trilogies, Eternal Sunshine and The Sound of Music aren't likely to change anyway.

So there you go. Now I gotta go work again! Nooooooooo!

14.10.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm.... i too am a sucker for lists. a few years ago jennifer got me hooked on this website called listology and for a while that was all i did. i loved reading other people's lists too :) i am awful at coming up with stuff so i'm going to think about it from the idea that i am stuck on an island wth just these things and try to think of something that would have good repeat value. so here we go...

music albums: (i went over 10, but in reality i would have my iPod, so 10 seems a bit low to me)
Billy Joel - Greatest Hits
Paul Simon - Best of
Iron & Wine - Endless Numbered Days
DJ Shadow- Entroducing...
Neutral Milk Hotel - Aeroplane Over the Sea
Ben Folds- Ben Folds Live
Broken Social Scene- S/T
The Postal Service- Give Up
Radiohead - Ultimate Mix (a bit of a cheat I know, but it is too hard to pick just one Radiohead album...i'd need my mix)
SIgur Ros - Takk...
Ween- The Mollusk
Velvet Goldmine Soundtrack

movies:
Labyrinth
The Original Star Wars Trilogy
The Village
The Lord of the Rings
Singing in the Rain
The Secret of Nimh
The Third Man
Lawn Dogs
Velvet Goldmine
Life is Beautiful

Books:
Pomes all Sizes - Jack Keruac
Sandman Series - Neil Gaiman
Fables Series - Bill Willingham
The World According to Garp - John Irving
Lad: A Dog - Albert Payson Terhune
Harry Potter Series
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Dark Arts Series - Phillip Pullman
The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay- Michael Chabon
A People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn

Television:
The Simpsons
South Park
Arrested Development
Veronica Mars
Avatar: The Last Airbender
Teen Titans
Clone Wars
Fullmetal Alchemist
Naruto
Brisco County, Jr.

17.10.06  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home