Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Smell

We all have six senses (sight, sound, smell, touch, taste, and some version or another of ESP).

I think smell captures a moment best, and brings up memories the most easily, and allows our smiles and tear ducts to flow most efficiently. Yesterday I was packing up a box of his things, and I breathed in the smell of his clothes--triggers went off, he went off, and sadness at having to fold these things and tuck them in a cardboard grave--and I just lost it and had to rest for a while and sit on the ground and cry. It felt really, really good, and I couldn't help but think of that scene in American Beauty where Annette Benning's character goes into her closet and wraps her arms around his clothes, and pulls them to her in a giant heap of emotion and just falls into them. I once talked about that scene with Callie, and she told me she had a similar experience when her brother died....

So, here I am, with this beautiful video from Goldfrapp to share with you. It's called "A & E", and thank you to Charlie for passing it along. It is indeed very Twin Peaks-y, as he described it (there's even a quick cameo from an owl), and it matches what I'm feeling and experiencing. I especially hope that Jordan and Kristin watch this: I think you two will adore it. And Jordan, maybe you can pass it on to Erika?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5VPyso87fZU

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home