Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tear-Stained Scott Towels

Life is good.

Just sent an email to Christina....She lent me Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis (a graphic novel about a young girl growing up in Iran in the '80s), and the ending just totally broke my heart in all the right places. Here I am, Mr. Crazy Early Bird, and I'm waking up the whole neighborhood because I keep blowing my nose into paper towels....Okay, I'm better. Just wiped my eyes a few times and I can see more clearly!

Started my new job at Our House of Portland this week (www.ourhouseofportland.org), a residential facility for people affected by HIV/AIDS. What a lovely crew of folks! I feel blessed to be a part of the team there, and the energy in OHOP just crackles with life and vivaciousness and compassion and humor and love. What an honor, seriously. I am working 20 hours a week as a Volunteer Coordinator alongside Kathryn, and 20 hours as a Development Associate alongside Sally, Jen, and John (Angie, we'll miss you! Y'all come back now, ya hear?). My work then, will be split between helping recruit volunteers and getting them settled into routines at OHOP (similar to what I did at VOA) while also helping with the silent auction and the Dinner Series, where community members can host parties/galas/events at the locale of their choice, with the proceeds benefiting Our House. It's such a great job!

Miss you, Alison.

I finished my short story I've been working on (and will be submitting it soon to the contest I've told some of you about).

Am about to start reading Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time Quintet (A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters, An Acceptable Time). Have read the first four MANY years ago....

Re-watching Felicity and falling in love all over again.

Saw A Fine Frenzy in concert last week with Mom. We had a perfect Thursday of dinner at the White Eagle (go Pepperjack mac-n-cheese!) followed by a divine time at the Doug Fir Lounge. Elaine -- it was such a pleasure to meet you. You have terrific taste in music.

Last Thursday I also took a drive by myself to the Columbia Gorge and over the Bridge of the Gods....I came back to PDX on the Washington side and stopped at Beacon Rock. Hiked up to the top, sat for a while and read Christopher Rice's Blind Fall, then hiked back down. On the drive there and back, I blasted Charlotte Martin b-sides and sang (screeched?) at the top of my lungs. I love that feeling of thinking the whole world can hear what you hear....that life is one giant soundtrack!

Just thinking that my two dogs are SO darn cute I can't even stand it!

Having bizarre dreams with cobble-stoned streets all slick with fresh rain.

Received a beautiful and touching email from Gretchen, whom I think is simply the Queen Bee of the Marathon Knee.

p.s. Have any of you seen The Nines? Rent it. Now. Don't even read the back. Just Netflix it or whatever and plunk it in your player and hit play. Tara and I loved it with all our hearts. T-girl, you and Gretchen may just have to cat-fight one another (or is it bee-fight?) for that miraculous knee status!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home