Monday, September 22, 2008

Pin It Forward

Today has been a strange day, in a good way. I awoke from a dream where I was walking through a lovely flower garden; I walked alongside N from work, and we were drawn down a sunlit path toward a metal statue of Saint Francis, who – for some subconscious reason of mine I’m trying to figure out – was Japanese rather than Italian. The whole statue/sculpture (including the fawn next to him) was inspired by Japanese art & culture. I understand why N was with me – she’d just lost her cat during a routine procedure to have him neutered; I’d sent my regrets; Saint Francis is the patron of animals – but I’m not sure about the rest. Well, that’s not true. I have some healthy suspicions, but those fall under the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” realm of the Nathan Heart Zone.

I ran over a nail and got a flat, too. This didn’t upset me, however. There have been two other instances in Oregon where I’ve gotten flat tires from nails – one on the day I arrived, the next on the day I moved from Corvallis to Portland – so I found it oddly fitting I’d get one today, when so many forces have aligned and converged on this of all days, 2008’s autumn equinox. I didn’t even feel that bad when the tire guys told me I should probably pay for new tires while they were at it, something I’ve had coming for a while. I just went with it, despite my non-desire to fork over the extra dough.

Last week at the dentist, while getting my initial assessment, I met Marie, one of the dental assistants. She commented on my Sleepy Hollow pin, and I almost gave it to her on the spot. Almost. She went on about Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman, and I know what that feels like, to be so into a scary tale, its myth throughout time. Over the past week I’ve received two different pins from two different friends: a Beverly Hills, 90210 pin from Robin (with an attached note that said, “Brandon and Dylan are dangerously close to one another”) and one from Glenn that reads, “I’m Particular". Today at my dental cleaning, who should do my cleaning, but good ol’ Marie. I handed her the pin on the spot. We made a “Pin It Forward” (half) joke. Then, while she was doing my cleaning, I just felt this crackling aura/energy from her. Seriously. I have this weird suspicion that Marie and I knew one another in a past life, and that for whatever reason the fates wanted to align us in the dental office. I think she felt it, as well. There were these lovely tendrils of kindness and quirkiness and silence buzzing between us. It was comforting, weird, wonderful.

So many other little things today. Songs on the radio. Encounters at work. The hushed sound of change. I’m liking it.

p.s. I had an amazing weekend, with a luxurious and rare moment of exchanged peacock feathers. For now, I feel like I need to tuck that moment (the whole weekend, actually) into my hoodie's pocket, keep it safe and warm and exciting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home