Thursday, November 06, 2008

Dangerous Angel


Halloween was terrific, and I’m thankful I got to spend so much wonderful time with Jerry. I’ve known Jerry since I was 18 and a freshman in college in Madison, and he now lives right outside Corvallis! He hasn’t seen many scary movies in his day, so I exposed him to plenty of the classics: Halloween, Scream, The Howling, Poltergeist, and then some. We also passed out candy to the trick-or-treaters; there was a young Dracula, maybe four or five years old, who was in awe of my vampire/angel hybrid costume. Yes, my original intent was to go as Angel, the vampire made famous by mastermind Joss Whedon. Mom was Buffy the Vampire Slayer – she looked perfect and bad-ass, by the way – and I was to be her main squeeze. My outfit ended up morphing until it almost looked like Spike, the evil-turned-good vampire (with the sexy British accent) who falls in love with Buffy and drives a wedge between her and Angel. Then I thought, why don’t I call myself “Spangel”, the (unfortunately figurative) lovechild of Spike and Angel? I dressed in black wings, white face paint, and silver hair glitter, with black lipstick and black fingernails, sexy black clothes, and a black-and-white tie. Then my vampire fangs wouldn’t stay in my mouth, so I became, simply….Dark Angel. (And, for all those Francesca Lia Block fans out there, I secretly thought of myself as Dangerous Angel, a reference to her Weetzie Bat books.) Mom, Jerry, and I hit the gay bars and danced; for his costume, Jerry had turned himself into some hippie-redneck-Richard Simmons hybrid, and he even talked in a Deliverance-inspired drawl throughout the night, never breaking character.


The last few days have been a delicious blur….writing….meeting Sylvia Golden, Christina and Ryan’s newborn daughter….the election….and my humorous moment at the Kennedy School on Tuesday night. Get this: I’m sitting there with Mom and Robin, and this woman keeps glancing over at me, and she finally comes up to me and points to my Equus shirt, with Daniel Radcliffe posed/morphed with a horse. Here’s pretty much how our conversation went:

“Did you see Equus in New York?”
“Yes, three weeks ago! It was great.”
“Was there really full frontal nudity of Harry Potter?”
“Yeah, for 20 minutes.” (said dejectedly, as I’d thought it would be more)
“Oh my god. 20 minutes?” (said with awe and lust, as she’d thought it would be less)
“I sat in the eighth row. It was fantastic.”
“Well, my mother and I got first row!” (and then she ran off, giddy as a schoolgirl)


Now, as we’re on this whole Harry Potter theme, I’m currently reading Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series – the world’s bestselling books since HP – and getting obsessed. I can’t wait to see the first film, starring the swoon-inducing Robert Pattinson; you know him as doomed Cedric Diggory from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Yeah, THAT guy. He can bite me anytime. You know, in a good way. Here he is, looking for some Dangerous Angel to hang out in hell with (if only we could get rid of that Bella chick….):

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nathan, this is Adrian. I seriously believe your mom might be in fact a Vampire and not a Vampire Slayer, cause she looks as awesome as she did when we were in high school. Crazy...the woman has not aged.

11.11.08  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home