Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Twilight


YOU SHOULD ALL SEE THIS MOVIE. HERE ARE PARTS OF TWO EMAILS THAT I EXCHANGED WITH A FRIEND. THEY PRETTY MUCH SUM UP MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THE FILM.
*****************
I loved Twilight. Seriously. They did such a great job! In fact, I think I liked it better than the book....You were totally right: they fixed all the things that were clunky/off about the novel. I would have liked the chase scenes to be a touch longer, more drawn out, but I know that's a personal preference....after all, it's PG-13, and it's mostly for teen girls! I saw it in a theatre with a thousand screaming 11-13 year olds, and I have to admit, wow, what a great audience! Totally respectful and quiet for the film, but then - after famous lines, scenes, introductions of characters, etc. - they'd scream and hoot and holler. In the parking lot on the walk back to the car, one 11-year-old girl kept smiling and chanting, "I love Edward! I love Edward!"

The direction? Brilliant. Casting? Perfect. Pacing? Spot-on. They also did a nice job setting up for the future film installments. And you're right, Jacob, whoa, he's going to chomp his way through scene-stealing (werewolf style) in New Moon. I'm 50 pages through Eclipse. And totally hooked.

....Yes, I really, really loved Kristen Stewart. I liked her (androgynous) performance in Panic Room, and she was great in her brief role in Into the Wild. And Rob Pattinson, well, they couldn't have cast Cedric better for the Harry Potter films.

I, too, appreciated the scenes between Bella and Charlie. They did feel awkward, raw, true. And I thought the actress playing Jessica did an amazing job -- A++.

Have you seen Catherine Hardwicke's Thirteen? Evan Rachel Wood is one of my fave young actors working today....I've been a huge fan ever since the TV show Once and Again, where she got her start.

Yep, caught Stephenie in her cameo:)

The film, overall, was up the "Nathan Alley" in so many ways. I'm obsessed with horror stuff, and I'm kind of an oddball combo of horror and kitschy all over my house....dangling dolls and mannequins....scary movie collection....unicorn memorabilia....Queer as Folk collection....faeries and elves and magical stuff just spilling from corners and crevices....I've had boyfriends say I was a mix between a gay man and a 13-year-old girl. That sounds about right! Which is why I appreciated Twilight all the more. I WAS one of those girls! (Still am!) I will most likely see it again in theatres. I'm hoping they release a "Director's Cut" of some kind on DVD, maybe unrated, that has a little more blood and guts and violence to it. I'm sick in the head. Sue me.

~N.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home