Thursday, January 22, 2009

quotes of the day

"What fabrications they are, mothers. Scarecrows, wax dolls for us to stick pins into, crude diagrams. We deny them an existence of their own, we make them up to suit ourselves – our own hungers, our own wishes, our own deficiencies. Now that I’ve been one myself, I know."

AND

"Why is it we want so badly to memorialize ourselves? Even while we’re still alive. We wish to assert our existence, like dogs peeing on fire hydrants. We put on display our framed photographs, our parchment diplomas, our silver-plated cups; we monogram our linen, we carve our names on trees, we scrawl them on washroom walls. It’s all the same impulse. What do we hope from it? Applause, envy, respect? Or simply attention, of any kind we can get? At the very least we want a witness. We can’t stand the idea of our own voices falling silent finally, like a radio running down."

Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

p.s. to Jess -- This is such a "Jess book", and when I'm finished with it, it will be on its way to you. Consider it done.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Comment to Nathan: I have it. It's my favorite novel. Keep it for yourself, or send it to me and I'll write something inappropriate in it for you, then mail it back. Let's talk about it on Saturday! Oooo! An excuse to reread it, instead of writing lesson plans...

22.1.09  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home