Monday, August 03, 2009

Magic by Way of Bruce Hornsby and the Range

I've just had one of the best weekends ever. It was "book-ended" by two simple, beautiful, earthy weddings: Meagan and Matt's on Friday, Jennifer and Lee's on Sunday. Meagan and I have become fast friends, and I felt honored she asked me to be a witness for her ceremony with the lovely Beekeeper. And Jennifer and I have known one another since high school, and I am so happy she's found Lee, a kind and introspective soul. What impressed me most about the four of them was their embrace of the true nature of a marriage, and of a wedding, not all the "superficial" stuff that can go with it (if you've watched an episode of Bridezilla, you know what I mean). They all are plugged into the true love current of such a momentous event. While I don't have any photos at this point to share of Jennifer and Lee's wedding, I thought I'd pass along these two of Meagan and Matt's (and the other witness in the photo is Kristin).




On Saturday, smack-dab in the middle of said Awesome Weekend, Mom and I attended a benefit concert outside McMinnville. We spent the earlier part of the day driving into downtown McMinnville and shopping; eating at the Oregon Hotel, a McMenamin's restaurant; getting lost on the country roads while listening to Bruce Hornsby and the Range; and enjoying the sun and company and beautiful day. You all would have loved Ramsey, whose family has the McPhillips farm referenced in the below poster. He and his cohorts did such a fine job organizing the event, and I loved sitting on my lawn chair (right behind rows of hay bale seating) and listening to some really beautiful music from top-notch performers. The farmland was breathtaking: at one point I wandered off by myself, munching down on the best thing I've ever tasted, a macaroon cookie from Red Fox Bakery (http://www.redfoxbakery.net/); the sun was setting behind the trees, pink rays caught amongst all the dripping moss, and the river was off to my left and a huge meadow to my right with two deer grazing, and I felt so close to (inner) silence and the true, raw meaning of beauty and stillness and belonging. A truly magical moment for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home