Wednesday, May 04, 2011

The Awesome Response from the Librarian at Big Foot

Dear Readers,

Thanks to Len Shapiro's suggestion -- which gave me just the boost of needed confidence -- I phoned Big Foot High School's librarian, Sally Watson. (See my blog post dated Monday, May 2nd -- this is the "sequel" post.) And guess what? She was just terrific. She hadn't even received the email I'd forwarded her, the one originally sent to my old English teacher Elizabeth Lochner; it must have been sent to Sally's spam filter.

Sally was enthusiastic and kind, and told me to plunk It Gets Better in the mail and she'd gladly put it on the shelves. She told me she was just doing some "upkeep" of various shelves & sections and recently updated the LGBT section. She asked if I'd have the time to peruse Big Foot's library selection online and then make suggestions for future purchases for LGBT material for Big Foot.

See, goodness and rightness and lightness shine over us all the time, unexpectedly. And this was a good lesson for me too: rather than pondering the worst (the email being deleted with disdain) I could ponder the best possible situation. We all have our hurts that linger, those threads that wrap around us like marionette strings.

Here's what I sent Ms. Watson today:

Hi Sally,

Thanks for the chat today, your willingness to be open hearted and listen, and your offer for me to peek at your library selection and make suggestions for LGBT teens. I will do just that and be in touch.

And in the meantime, I'm mailing you a copy of It Gets Better. It will be wonderful to have this book on your shelves at Big Foot.

All my best to you this Wednesday,
Nathan

1 Comments:

Blogger Leonard said...

This warms my heart.
Love, Len

4.5.11  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home