Thursday, January 16, 2014

Snubbed


I'm thinking of boycotting the Oscars this year. Seriously. I feared that Sam Rockwell would not be nominated for Best Supporting Actor for The Way, Way Back, and -- alas -- I am correct.

Dear Academy: What were you thinking? Rockwell is spot-on, transcendent even, as Owen, the sage-like slacker with a heart of gold who mentors young Duncan through a painful yet ultimately illuminating phase of adolescence one summer at a water park.

Want to check out more Sam Rockwell? I recommend starting with Lawn Dogs, which captures a parallel brilliant performance: Poor, down-on-his-luck Trent navigates class wars and moral injustices at his landscaping job in a gated community while inspiring a young girl to break away from suburban mold sameness and stay true to her spirit and imagination.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leonard said...

Right on! I sent back my Oscar tickets to show my solidarity with you. They will regret this mindless decision.

16.1.14  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home