Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Happy Halloween (tomorrow) -- to one and all....

I sure do love Halloween, the kids all decked out and trick-or-treating....passing out candy to them....eating some candy myself....watching scary movies and smelling crisp (or wet) autumn leaves, not to mention those caught whiffs of fires burning in fireplaces or in bonfire pits in the backyard. I'm a happy camper.

Had my usual pre-Halloween horror movie fest this past weekend. Things kicked off with Christina coming over Friday night (with Mom, Ben, Ollie, and myself) for some Simpsons Clue and some Michael Jackson dancin'. Friday bled into Saturday, mimosas and delicious breakfasts at Francis's, followed by some great movie watching (Poltergeist, Exorcist, Hellraiser). It was lovely to cozy up with all my friends and family amongst the heaps of blankets and pillows and bean bags. So good to be warm inside that home that Mom has decorated so creepy and cute at the same time. And nothing tops off a good weekend more than a Sunday breakfast and awesome talk with Tara, She of the Wisdom.

It's been an interesting couple of weeks. I helped Karla and Steven get their new iguana home safe and sound, and the couple who rescued him also rescued this baby doll from the roof of their apartment building. Julio has been a bit, um, damaged, but he now has character: a drawn in mustache; ripped out hair; snake and web and dagger tattoos; a big "FUCK ME!" written on the back of his head; "THUG LIFE" written on his eight fisted knuckles. No worries, Julio. You now have a good home at the Buck Motor Inn, where all the Misfits are loved and appreciated and respected.

Still feeling lots of ups and downs with my emotions (and experiencing plenty of weird dreams in the process), but I also am feeling more centered, relaxed, something. Hard to put a finger on. I'm letting some things go.

Been really enjoying my time with Mom....seeing all the amazing work she's doing on the San Raphael house....and I'm just loving Ollie more and more everyday, that little goofball. It seems to be the details that are the best parts of life sometimes: catching Ben with a beautiful expression, rolling over to see his cat Missy sleeping next to me, hearing a needed song, seeing two young children help their mother rake leaves in their yard. My heart aches and breaks and heals and rejoices all at the same time sometimes.

I sure am blessed to have such a great community. This weekend was just the perfect example of that -- my annual extravaganza was, simply, excellent.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marieke said...

Happy Day of the Dead! Things sound good in Portland. Oh, all the leaves! I remember them fondly.

Did I ever tell you about the ghost that 'lived' in the cemetery up on Stark St. & 22nd or so? It would breeze its way through our apartment building on 18th and Stark, directly through our neighbor Terry's apartment (that's why he left his door and windows open all night and all day, so the ghost could go through), and made a beeline for an old decrepit house somewhere on Belmont or Morrison (not quite sure anymore) where this ghost apparently was the caretaker and kept up the garden even after death. It was lush and overgrown... a perfect haunting place.

Hugs,
M.

1.11.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The party was such fun. I loved the company, the food and the entertainment. I forgot how good some of the old spooky movies can be.

We also have lived in a haunted house, actually more than one. In Lemont, Il I often would see smoke in the bedrooms as I walked along our long and skinny hallway. When I would stop to see what it was; it would disappear. The basement was full of rooms and I was always scared when I went into the basement to do the laundry, but I do not remember any hauntings down there, just what I created in my mind. A lady at the park told me that a child died in the house under suspicious circumstances; he strangled on an extension cord.

When we moved to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin we lived in a pre fab house that was built in 1976 across the street from the original Big Foot Indian campsite, where the indians lived when the lake was discovered by the white men in the 1890's. The indians were soon shipped off so that the weathy Chicago elite could use the lake property for the summer residences. Our home was built across the creek and up the hill form the indian campsite and I often wondered if it was the burial site for the Big Foot Indians. I suppose it did not help that the kids invitied a spirit into the house while playing the Ouija board, and the spirit managed to blow out the candles in Nathan's bedroom that night. The door to Nathans bedroom would often shake when no one else was home but me. I would go into the room to see if the windows were open, but they were not!

A image of a man in a dark cape and large hat was often sigthed in Jordans basement bedroom. I saw him once in our house in Madison too.

On several occasions, guests who were sleeping on the sofa reported the feeling that someone was pressing down on the chests and would wake them from their sleep.

My life was saved by an unknown source while I was living alone in the Lake Geneva home. The house was filled with carbon monoxide, and I would have soon been dead if it were not for spiritual intervention; but, that story is for another day.

The Mom

2.11.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have finally book marked your page! Our slumber party/horror movie fest was divine. I just adore you! I will never forget our little dance party. As for ghost stories, I saw my Grandma Amy once in the house I grew up in. She had died a couple of years before. She was a scary, strange old bird and we made some peace with one another- though she scared the %$#* out of me!

I also have an amazing pic of Julio to share with you. He's such a doll! Har har.

Love & Bats,
Christ

13.11.07  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home