Thursday, December 06, 2007

Isabel, Luna, & Nathan

Tori came onstage as Isabel on Tuesday night, lighting up her cigarette, her long white wig cascading down her back while her fairy-elf ears poked out, turning her into a modern day version of Kira from The Dark Crystal. Tori lit up the stage amongst white and purple stars, drapes and strobe lights, her amazing band, and an auditorium -- the Arlene Schnitzer Hall -- that was just gorgeous with its intricate architecture and red velvet drapes and chandeliers and comfy seats and powerful sound system. Highlights for me were Tear in Your Hand, Mountain (which I'd never heard before), her cover of Bruce Springsteen's I'm on Fire, Precious Things, Hey Jupiter, and loads more. Tori-as-Isabel and Tori-as-Tori inspired me, as always, and filled me with electric energy. And going in early with the VIP pass, and getting to hear Tear in Your Hand in sound check with about only 40 other people may just be one of the best moments of my life. Ben was sweet and dropped me off and picked me up, and that meant the world to me to be able to come out of the show and hop in the car and gab away at him and show him my T-shirts (I can't wait to wear my "I Believe in Peace Bitch" shirt all around PDX).

Luna had her surgery yesterday, and the doctor said it was the easiest one she'd ever done of its kind. And Luna -- what a powerful soul, she just keeps wagging her tail and spreadin' the love around the house even with her stitched eye socket and cone on her head. Jan is just the best mom in the world, and Ollie is a gentle stepbrother/new boyfriend (he's so respectful of her and is being just wonderful with her). And I awoke this morning and cuddled into a ball with Luna on the living room couch and petted her and napped with her. Ben said it best: that while it's hard to see her in pain while she heals, it's also for the best -- if Mom hadn't taken her in for a check-up, then we might not have realized she needed this surgery and there would have been more serious consequences down the road. So we have a house filled with love and support (and yes, some melancholy and lots of tiredness, too).

Nathan-as-Nathan is doing all right. He had a weird day yesterday -- a homophobic comment relayed about me to a coworker, a panic attack during conferences with my students (!), the goings-on with Luna. But, while this has been draining, Nathan also feels full of crackling light and muse-inspired creativity. So he's cultivating everything, and adding to his garden, and the world is just pulsing with colors and light and fresh air.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home