Monday, January 21, 2008

Weekend


No, I'm not referring to the title of the early Christopher Pike book, but instead to the last couple days. On Saturday Karla and I went to a photography art exhibit by Alicia J. Rose (http://www.missmurgatroid.com/) at a gallery in town called Grass Hut. Alicia's current exhibit focused on the retelling of three classic Brothers Grimm faerietales. Picture: a ten-year-old girl who looks twenty, drag queens playing the parts of the Evil Queen and the Seven Deadly Sins, a sexy wolf man, and a really hot black man as the Woodsman, all decked out in lamb's fur and piercings, holding a giant axe. The highlight for Karla and me was the book report done by the little girl playing Snow White. There we were, debating whether the model was a girl or a pixie-ish twentysomething, when the nice guy working there said, "She's ten! Check out her book report!" We flipped it open to her squiggly, big-penciled writing, with (paraphrased) sentences like, "It was fun to dress up with all those guys...I felt scared at first but the boys dressed as girls made it okay", or "...I liked wearing the makeup, but I got bored at the poisoned apple part and could not wait until we sat by the bonfire."

Yesterday, Julie and I went to the third annual Siren Nation (http://www.sirennation.org/) all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast. All proceeds went to supporting women in the arts, particularly in music, and I took full advantage of the vegan and gluten-free pancakes, maple syrup, homemade strawberry marmalade, real butter, and chocolate chips. Right as we were finishing eating (Julie ate, I stuffed my face) the sun cracked through and lit up Alberta Street. Julie and I spent a couple hours shopping and bopping around. We stopped in this new awesome gallery called the Together Gallery (http://www.togethergallery.com/), where I was fascinated by artwork by Pony Graves; one piece of art was a child's coffin decorated in darkish purples, with a young dark-haired girl hovering on the front of it in stark paint.

I've had funny dreams the last two nights (and a horrible bought of insomnia last night). On Saturday night I dreamt I had a small part in the new Sex and the City movie, and S.J. and I took a break to grab a Starbucks across the street from the set. Last night I dreamt that Missy Higgins, one of my fave singers, and I had become friends, and she was chillin' in Portland with a nice mix of both of our friends. I even woke up a couple times but fell back asleep to more Ms. Higgins hang time. At work today, while feeling down and talking about it with Alison, she put on Missy's "Unbroken" for me, which seemed just perfect. I have a special secret moment associated with that song, and somehow Alison tapped into my heart and played it for me.

p.s. The below artwork for the previous post is from the upcoming comic book anthology based on Tori Amos songs called Comic Book Tattoo (http://undented.com/news/1401/a-comic-book-tattoo). Note that Rantz A. Hoseley was the inspiration for Tori's "Flying Dutchman" and the title of said anthology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home