Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Crush the Skull


Don't worry, folks -- my blog post title may suggest I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and want to work out my aggression (well....), but I'm actually referring to Viet Nguyen's award-winning short film, its sequel, and subsequent Kickstarter campaign for a feature film.

You can read more about the campaign here (*and you can watch both short films too!):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/viet-nguyen/crush-the-skull-horror-comedy-feature-film

I first heard about Crush the Skull through a recent Veronica Mars Kickstarter update. Those who know me well equate me with a few obsessions, rain or shine: Tori Amos is probably first, and the belief that unicorns are real might be a close second (no, really). Scream is also right up there -- the first two Scream films land solidly in my top 10 flicks of all time. (He loves unicorns and horror movies in equal measure, you say? How can this be? Maybe I'll write about this duality in a future post.) In any case, I watched the two shorts and was impressed by the professionalism, creep factor, biting humor, frisky acting, brisk pacing, and non-condescending wink-wink factor at (no, with) the audience. The films are so assured, and obviously come from someone who loves horror movies to the extreme.

It's official: I have a crush on the Crush the Skull cast & crew, and am now an official backer. Maybe you'll join me in this endeavor? Scream set the bar pretty damned high for horror-comedy hybrids that embrace the horror genre while also sending it up. This potential feature film might be just the successor you've been dying to see.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kasey Height said...

Scream remains one of my favorites, as well! All of the throwbacks and references to old horror are awesome. Also one of my most quoted films. "Liver alone!"

15.5.14  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home