Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Missing Pieces = Mended Heart



Voila! Charlie asked me to post my thoughts on The Missing Pieces (Fire Walk With Me's deleted scenes, finally released). My message to him -- and his response -- do the trick. Consider this your official spoiler alert.

~~~

Charlie,

I'm so glad I watched Twin Peaks in real time, and I'm naturally a bit sad it's all over. I also am like, "I did it!" and now I have some free time back as the days get longer and we move deeper into spring. Like most Peak Freaks, I'm sure, I loved seeing a bit more with Cooper, the toothpaste, and his bloody post-mirror-bashing skull. Annie's scene in the hospital -- with the nurse who takes the owl ring -- is haunting. In addition, seeing more of the Teresa Banks/pre-Laura scenes & characters left my heart aflutter; I wanted to lose myself even more in the "Teresa Banks Days". Out of all the deleted scenes, there were a few key ones that I felt could've/should've been included in the theatrical release. Primarily, I loved the scenes with Laura and her mother: Laura helping her mother with the groceries -- and cigarette handling! -- for instance. I don't feel we got enough time with this daughter/mother team in Fire Walk With Me; some of the nuances were missing (pieces!), and are now found in these deleted scenes. Also, I love Laura's scene at the Haywards, with Donna and her parents -- that would have been a good addition.

It meant the world to me to spend time with other characters, as well, though it was easier for me to see why they weren't included in the film. It would have been for the fans -- no harm there, of course! -- but in service of Fire Walk With Me focusing on Laura (after the lengthy Teresa Banks prologue), it makes sense that Lynch took a deep breath, cursed any Powers That Be that forced his hand, and streamlined the film, ambivalently tucking those scenes away. Who knows how they would -- or wouldn't -- have been folded into the final film. My favorite deleted scenes were actually those featuring Norma: when she cries in the diner, and even more so, when she and Ed are in the car cuddled up, listening to dreamy music, and connecting.

As I said to Gus on Saturday, this was my favorite time watching Fire Walk With Me. Ever. Even more so than seeing it in theaters during its original run at the Janesville mall back in the day! The remastered film transfer is exquisite, and I picked up so many details in the settings, and in the choreography if you will, that lent themselves to a deeper appreciation on my end. Plus, I respect David Lynch even more for his tough choices in what to keep and what to cut -- his final cut feels overall cohesive, strong, and urgent.

~N.



Nathan,

So much to respond to! Thanks for the feedback about The Missing Pieces. It's funny, you and I share the same favorite scenes. My god, those Norma scenes are exquisite. Norma in the diner, crying. So, so good and moving. You really feel for her -- despite losing Big Ed to Nadine all those years ago it's still a fresh wound. Also, what it must feel like owning a diner in such a small town where there are slow/bad business days. Poor Norma. And the scene in the truck between Norma and Big Ed. Jesus. So incredibly good. "That's you and me, Ed, so far away. . . One. Giant. Crash-up." And the music is so haunting and affective. And those trees at night seem to be dancing/connecting to that dreamy music you mentioned.

I, too, love those mother/daughter scenes. That scene with Laura beneath the fan . . . Gulp. It's BOB crawling over the couch again in the way it twists something so normal into something frightening. I'll never look at the slow spread of a smile quite the same way again. Jesus God.

The scene where Doc Hayward reads Laura the "message" is so heartbreaking. Eileen's eyes convey such sadness and seem to hint that she was more aware about Laura's world than suspected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home