Friday, April 20, 2007

Lovely

Last night was just lovely. Mom, Ben, Karla, and I went to see Rosie Thomas & Friends in concert. One of the highlights was seeing her stand-up act, with her alter-ego Sheila Saputo. I had sent Rosie a funny email the other day about my third (maybe it was fourth) grade obsession when Martika's "Toy Soldiers" came out. As I stated, any young Catholic boy riding the school bus and singing along about "Step by step/Heart to heart/We all fall down/like toy soldiers" must turn out to be gay. Martika--and the exquisite Laura Branigan--were good signs that I'be WAY into female singer-songwriters and pop divas alike. What gay man (well, except for Ben who--gasp!--hasn't even seen Dirty Dancing!) doesn't think back to Flashdance, when the young woman falls twice on the ice to Branigan's "Gloria"? Breaks my heart and makes me cringe; sheesh, I think I've even written about this before on my blog; must be a major part of my adolescent development! Maybe this is why I must always turn my gaze away whenever figure skating is on. I'm serious. I can watch Jason Vorhees or Freddy Krueger hack a million people to pieces in slasher films, but I flinch whenever people skate because they've put SO much time and effort and talent into this, and one little fall or slip-up could cost them the whole competition! Okay, back to Rosie. Her stand-up act was great, and she told me before the show she was thinking of me in part while putting it together. She makes me laugh in sure a pure way. I just feel good when I'm around her or thinking about her. And her singing--with that lush voice--was a perfect way to transition into the rest of the evening.

Karin, I wish you were there to share the night with us.

Karla and Ben -- I'm glad you came along for the adventure.

Mom, you truly are the Den Mother to All.

Rosie, thanks for the Mean Cards. They are raunchy, hilarious, and totally un-PC. I love them.

p.s. Ben, a quiz for you. What movie has the amazing line: "I carried a watermelon?"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easiest question ever: "Dirty Dancing!" Only my favorite line in the entire movie. Ben, I do not fault you if you got this one wrong and I hope that Nathan shared that beautiful peace of cinematography with you. It had people smiling and dancing at one time, and perhaps it still does.

love,

Kaylyn

23.10.07  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home