Friday, May 25, 2007

Expectations

Nicci, my hair stylist, recently told me the following quote that I find quite insightful. Don't you love the conversations we all have with our stylists? They're mini therapy sessions cloaked with sassy vanity tweaks.

--"Expectations are premeditated resentments."

Ain't that the truth? In the end, I interpret this as meaning that expectations are way more about US than they are about the people we direct them toward. Our own hang-ups--our own fears and hopes--get splashed onto and into our various relationships.

I've also become obsessed with bumper stickers lately. Like, I can't stop finding meaning in so many of them these days. And who knows, everything does happen for a reason, including getting behind a particular car at a particular time.

Some of my faves:

"Bombing for peace Is like fucking for virginity"
PG-13 version I've seen: "Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

"God is not a Republican...or a Democrat."

On my own car:

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."
"What would Buffy do?"
"Coexist" (you know the one, with funky letters & shapes to represent different religions, spiritualities, and life philosophies)

I could go on and on. Anyone want to send me their favorite quotes, bumper sticker-esque or otherwise?

Oh, my favorite Tori quote:

"You can only be you. A lot of times that's never enough for people."

Ain't that the truth, too?

3 Comments:

Blogger Marieke said...

Only that day dawns to which we are awake.
--Henry David Thoreau, Walden

30.5.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday I was walking back from the best first date I've had in a long time, and I saw a van with the sticker "something wonderful is about to happen." I really hope so, because I'm smitten.

4.6.07  
Blogger Alice said...

God isn't dead.......He just doesn't want to get involved.

It's on a wooden sign I got from your mother when she was packing up stuff & moving. She said it had belonged to her father. Anyway I really like it, and it's hanging up on the wall of my apartment now.

29.6.07  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home