Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Falling in Love with Strangers

I passed an extremely attractive gentleman today on my way to work. He was dressed in black, in this slick, sexy trench coat. He had thick, luscious black hair and--even though I don't usually like them on guys--a totally hot goatee. We exchanged glances--the kind that says, "You're gorgeous, I like your style, let's...." and then we continued on our ways. I looked back over my shoulder; as far as I know, he did not. My point of this little scenario is that I fall for strangers all the time. Whole galaxies of love and lust pass between us in a few seconds. Maybe these galaxies don't disappoint because we haven't dug into some of our neurotic layers, and been stung. Love comes in so many different packages....There's the obsessive, all-consuming kind of love. Fire wrapping us up in tight blankets. There's the safe, comfortable, friendly love, where the passion may not always burn down houses but it feels right and just and freeing. Then there's the love with strangers. Sometimes I really think this does go beyond lust and pheromones. That for just a moment--call it Karmic connection--your eyes meet and everything collapses together and you have this brief, transitory Love Affair that captures years inside an instant. But then the light changes. Or your car turns a corner. Or the cashier hands you your change and you say thank you and then walk out the automatic doors. I fell in love with a stranger today, as I have in the past, as I will in the future. And while longer, more permanent relationships come and go I'll still be able to look back at these men and women--they are legion--and think: "Yeah, thanks for being my ten-second Soulmate."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I read your words, I SNEEZE! Your elegant sentences filled with homosexual propaganda is chili pepper to the inner lining of my sensitive nostrils. The mere mention of Tori Amos, or a subtle passionate feeling towards a stranger throws my forehead back, eyes squinting, mucas building, eyes forming a moist glaze of salty water. Poetry, Buffy, long walks, you precious Portland, they all grab me by the back of my scalp and force my head forward, nose blazing, climax ensuing. A web of snot fills my palms; a web that resembles the landscape of your royal blog. I will rub the snot web into my chest hairs, and there it will stay until you post again. I love to sneeze Mr. Buck. Please write again soon.

--Snotty McPotty

23.3.06  
Blogger Nathan Buck said...

Snotty McPotty,

Thanks for your eloquent and kind words. So glad I could make you sneeze. Just gives me one more reason to say "Bless You" to the world as I ride my glitter waves of Love. You had such a firm and opinionated response--I'd love to see your real signature since you're so sure of your words?

23.3.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am afraid my words were read askew. I find your ideas fresh as the morning dew. I was intrigued so I came to you. I beg of you, we start anew. I meant no harm, alarm, no ignorant fanaticism from the conservative school marm. I cherish what you do. Take my first comment as miscue. For every atom that belongs to me; as well belongs to you.

My apologies if I misrepresented myself. Keep this wonderful web-page breathing.

--Snotty McPotty

27.3.06  
Blogger Nathan Buck said...

Snotty (are we on a first name basis now?),

I just read a quote in David Baird's A THOUSAND PATHS TO HAPPINESS that made me think of our little "dialogue" here:

"Happiness is like a sneeze --
neither can be contained."

Thanks for the poem and the apology. You are now understood in the right vein;)

Stay happy,
Nathan

30.3.06  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home