Monday, January 22, 2007

Dead Choir Boy Photo Opp. (Or, Ketchup as Accessory)

I had a lovely weekend overall. The Society-a-Thon was a hit on Saturday. First off: We ate surprisingly healthy food (save for the banana creme pie, Whoppers, and peanut M&M's!)....veggie chili....hummus with pita bread....a delectable pumpkin nut raisin bread....And the "prologue" to the fest made me bust my guts with laughter: Mom, Ben, and I took pictures of the decapitated choir boy head (don't worry folks, he's a mannequin/doll/thing my mom's had for years as part of her annual Christmas display; his head got broken off in one of Mom's moves)....We stuck his head in a pot, put a see-through lid on it/him, and laid a knife by the pot. I doused the knife with ketchup, and Mom took multi-angled photos of our masterpiece. We followed this with sticking my new, weird man-face in the freezer and photographing him amongst the ice cream and frozen broccoli. We ended things on a sunny note outside (it was an exquisite day, just pure sun and January warmth), and Mom snapped some photo opps. with Ben and me. D.A.D., our neighbor, stopped by and didn't seem to know what the hell was going on! We kept things semi-innocent, no worries!

Karla and Michael joined us for the fest, as did Karin when she got off work. We watched American Beauty, Lawn Dogs, and The Village, a nice trio, in a nice order. Everyone stayed intrigued and interested throughout the festivities. I sure do love these movies.

Friday and Sunday were perfect bookends: On Friday I went with Karla to a funeral home & crematorium for pets, Dignified Pet Services. She'd laid out Rouge/Rougie--her iguana--in a blanket, with a flower lay, and we were able to spend some time with him in the parlor so Karla could say her goodbyes. The woman who was working at Dignified Pet Services--her name eludes me at this moment--is kind, benevolent, warm, smart, and compassionate. I took to her immediately. I wasn't sure what to expect at DPS--cheesiness, gaudiness?--but I was impressed by the subtle class, and the just-right casualness in the way the place was organized and decorated. (Check them out at: www.dignifiedpetservices.com) Truly a special place, and I recommend it to anyone who'd like an alternative/special way to find some peace & closure with losing a loved one....Sunday involved seeing Pan's Labyrinth at Cinema 21, and WOW!, this movie rocks! We sat up in the balcony, and Ben and I felt all "romantic" as the young girl's relationship with Pan grows while she's also warding off her evil stepfather, trying to rescue her mother and baby brother, and helping the rebel militia. This is a modern day classic, and effortlessly could be a part of the Society-a-Thon. Ben and I ate dinner at Starky's, a gay restaurant on Stark Street....I've passed this place hundreds of time and had no idea it was a gay establishment! I also give it two thumbs up. Great food, casual atmosphere, overall a nice experience.

The sun is out now; I'm loving it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home