Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Veronica Mars Canceled!

Hi everybody. I've been very upset that Veronica Mars was announced as canceled last week. What is a poor gay boy to do without his twin soul teen detective? Well, first off, this sassy diva wrote a letter to Rob Thomas, the creator of our beloved Ms. Ronnie M. I thought I had an email address for him (one established through the CW network), but the email got bounced back to me. I then emailed a bunch of people who have V. Mars sites up online, and some of them graciously wrote me back, but with no leads. So, alas, this is my last resort. I'm posting my letter here. If any of you in the cyber-universe have a connection with Rob Thomas, He of Genius Land, please feel free to pass this along.

Warmest Wishes,
Nathan

p.s. I am finding a measure of comfort in Freaks & Geeks, my current viewing pleasure. Isn't this show amazing, too?

p.p.s. Since I originally wrote this letter last week, I've done research into Veronica Mars' future, and it seems that Rob Thomas is even contemplating a feature film with my goddess. So, yeah, it's not like my letter is going to blow anyone away with its originality. Still, I had fun writing it; it needs a home, even if it's just on my blog.
********************************************************
Mr. Thomas and everyone else involved with Veronica Mars,

Thank you so much for the past three seasons of a smart, engaging, sassy, sad, dark, and funny show. Really, I so looked forward to every episode, and I got pretty bummed out last night thinking this "may be the end." My question, though: Is it? This definitely felt like a season-endin' cliffhanger, not a series finale (not that even series finales need tidy packages -- look at Twin Peaks).

So, I had a revelation. I'll pretend it's a deep one and that you haven't thought of it:

Have you--and Dawn Ostroff--considered doing "TV movies of the week" with the Veronica Mars characters and stories, ala Murder She Wrote? I have this image of Veronica Mars solving a crime with the FBI (with maybe an overarching mystery/ongoing personal struggle) for a two-hour TV movie during every sweeps month. This way, fans get to experience Ms. Ronnie Mars for some time to come; the CW saves on its budget because it doesn't have to fund an entire season; you have time--and feedback--to structure these movies however you'd like from one sweeps period to the next; the people involved can work on other projects simultaneously; and you capture that anticipated ""Can't wait for the next one in February!" vibe while carrying on that Jessica/Murder She Wrote thingy-ma-jinger for a whole new generation of murder mystery junkies. (And that includes me.)

Thoughts?

My best wishes to you all. And hey, if you're looking for a new writer from a non-profit-workin'-writer-in-the-mornings-gay-man-nerdy-club to add to your writing & script crew, I'm your guy! Feel free to check out my blog at: www.nathanbuck.blogspot.com

Warm Regards,
Nathan Buck
Portland, OR (right next to Beaverton! Go Piz!)

p.s. Mr. Thomas, I LOVE that you listen to really loud music while you write. I do the same. Some writers need silence, but I need all those pulsing instruments and siren voices echoing loudly through my headphones. Keep it up!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm not happy with the end...felt cut off and rushed. It didn't even feel like a season finale. I'm bummed.

6.6.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah...it's me...Aaron.

6.6.07  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home