Monday, May 05, 2008

butterflies

Yesterday evening, after a lovely day at Julie's for the BYOD party (Bring Your Own Dog!) and then a nice couple hours at Our House, I went for a walk with my headphones in my neighborhood, listening to some A Fine Frenzy and just groovin' in Nathan Land. Here's the cool thing: When I stepped outside my house, this little white butterfly fluttered around me and guided me down the steps. Then he flew by my side while I walked, and kept up with me for about 4 or 5 blocks. It was just a beautiful moment.

Later, I popped in an episode of Millenium. It revolved around a plane crash. While the FBI were investigating the wreckage, one character commented on all the butterflies that had congregated around the tail engine -- turns out butterflies are attracted to some chemical in engine oil. Also, butterflies are attracted to a secretion in tears. This could be seen ominously -- all those monarchs, painted ladies, mourning cloaks gathering around the ravaged bodies of the dead -- but I like to see the poetic metaphor in it all: death and rebirth, growth, busting out of the cocoon with both sorrow and joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home