Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day

Hi everybody. Happy Valentine's Day. I'm feeling pretty good now, but earlier today I was hit with a wave of melancholy. Mom and I sat down on the couch and exchanged our cards, and I thought about A) how happy I was because I get to see Ben tonight, but B) I wouldn't be home with Mom. After all, V-Day isn't just about one's partner, but about family, friends, other loved ones, even strangers. On my ride to work--while listening to Tori's B-Sides from the Scarlet's Walk album--I almost wanted to cry. And I thought: Am I almost crying because of Valentine's Day? Is it because I haven't had a good cry in a while and my body is gearing up? Plus, my stomach felt all rumbly, and I was over-caffeinated. Now I feel a bit more peaceful and calm. I'm letting things just wash over me. I had a lovely time this morning writing out cards for Mom, Ben, and Karin.....I just put on my headphones and let in Trespassers William/Madonna/Rosie Thomas/The Church/many others....

And to you all: Happy Valentine's Day. Many universal hugs to you!

Got to see Charlotte Martin (and Aqualung) with Mom and Ben on Friday. A magnificent show, and so great to hear "Stromata" live! (And to hug CharMar and her kick-ass manager, Erin.) We followed the lovely show with a stop at Voodoo Donuts. Nothing quite like a maple and bacon donut, a chocolate cocoa puff donut, a fruit loop donut. Is this heaven?

Mom and I had a lovely afternoon Saturday, followed by a great evening with Karla. Showed her Contact; she hadn't seen it before. While certain things have not stood the test of time--the CGI Bill Clinton, the slightly (but only slightly) over-dramatic score, Matthew McConaughey's smarmy scarves and off-kilter hair-do--most things are still Hollywood Poetry. That's right -- let's give credit where it's due. This is a piece of cinematic magic that involves: family, questions about God, questions about humanity's place in the universe, and our connections to each other -- and why we seek them out the way we do. Jodie Foster and Matthew Mc.--Ellie and Palmer, respectively--find a way to balance their yin-and-yang relationship of science and spirituality. (The main point? It's all the same thing -- one big web of mysterious, illuminating, purposeful Existence.)

The rest of my weekend & subsequent week have included: yoga with Julie, working on my novel, cleaning the house, sending out a fellowship application, being rock stars with Karin, and planning my trip with Ben. Life is good. And you know what? Veronica Mars last night was VERY good. I haven't laughed like that in a while! Ronnie brings out the best in me. You go, girl.

Finally, to my brother Fake -- I didn't know you starred in Christina Aguilera's video for "Beautiful"! Why haven't you admitted this to any of us?!?!?!?!

And a p.s. I love teen horror movies with beautiful people who transform into werewolves. Exhibit A? The trailer for Blood and Chocolate. I've always wanted to read the novel by Annette Curtis Klause (am starting it today, actually) and now I will devour it (haha) before I take in the movie. And who can beat TaTu or Evanescence or whoever the heck is playing during the trailer! This movie will be a blissful package of beauty, puberty-as-shapeshifter mythology, cheesy storylines, and some gay undertones. Yay for teen werewolf movies that take themselves seriously!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home