Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Spring

Spring is in the air. In so many ways. I just love that crisp smell, of things being born and transforming and opening up. In relation to my last post, sometimes this carries with it an air of sadness. We shed skins, and when we look at what we've shed we get filled with tinges of regret and melancholy. Still, in the end, it's totally worth it! I've been thinking about Spring a lot, on many levels. An old friend of mine from high school, Spring, got back in touch with me after several years. She and her family stayed with Mom and me on their trip back to WI. So wonderful to hug Spring, to connect with her, to see where we are both at in our respective Life Adventures. I think about dancing in the living room in Lake Geneva, WI, to Madonna and "Two Princes" (Spin Doctors!); to saying "no" to seeing Cheap Trick with her and Jordan at the Walworth County Fair (I know, a mortal sin, how dare I not hear "The Flame" live!); sitting together in the cafeteria at the, well, at the nerds table. I really, really needed to have that wonderful night, to watch The Last Unicorn with Trayton, to have Trayton blow out birthday candles, to have Cynthia feel welcomed and comfortable on the big loveable sofa....Then there are the other levels of Spring....Watching Fantasia 2000 with Jordan, that segment with Stravinsky's Firebuite Suite, and how it totally captures the soul's journey. Watch it; you'll see. One of the most beautiful things, artistically, spiritually, otherwise, that you'll ever witness and embrace....The Spring of our emotions (okay, kinda sounds cheesy when I write it) and how we come out of, yes, I've gotta say it, those dark Winters, and we emerge on the other side. Bette Midler's "The Rose," anyone?....It's hard for me to capture what this season means to me: childhood, forgiveness, fresh starts, accepting one's flaws, accepting one's awesome qualities, breathing deep and stretching out our possibilities, just like the days get stretched out. Wow. I've officially entered Hallmark Card Status. But that's okay. It's true none-the-less. And what's wrong with sappy sentiments? I find them, sigh, highly underrated.

p.s. I finished making Ben's new CD, and Patty Griffin's "I Don't Ever Give Up" and CharMar's "Step Back" are on it, and these are my Nathan Songs of the Moment. They capture the season perfectly (inside and out). And this is fitting because "Step Back" is my Dwight Song, and I will be honoring him this Thursday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nathan... I too needed that night...as I had spent years thinking about you my friend. I had a great visit. Seemed ike "old" times, there are many times I remember from back then, You are a great man and I love that you are the person you are. You inspire me. Love ya!

17.5.11  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home